Sheltering the Homeless is Our Responsibility/Interfaith Council for Affordable Residence (SHORE/ICARE) is a nonprofit organization with a mission to develop innovative permanent housing for low-income and homeless families in imminent danger of homelessness in Westchester County, New York.
SHORE/ICARE is the only agency in Westchester County that builds and renovates homes to provide permanent housing for homeless families.
Building and Renovating Homes
- SHORE/ICARE builds new multi-family homes or purchases and renovates properties to provide affordable rental apartments for homeless families or families about to become homeless.
- 21 families are currently housed in SHORE homes... most are single mothers.
- Families are recommended by local nonprofit agencies.
- SHORE/ICARE currently operates:
- 14 rental units in White Plains
- 1 two-family home in Ardsley
- 3 two-family homes in Mamaroneck and Larchmont managed with ICARE (Interfaith Council for Affordable Residence).
Providing Support for Homeless Families
- SHORE/ICARE supplies donated furniture and appliances to homeless families when they move into their new apartments.
- SHORE/ICARE subsidies rent for many families to ensure they can remain stably housed.
- SHORE/ICARE pays for utility bills, insurance, and home maintenance for many of the families in our rental units.
- SHORE/ICARE provides a Case Manager to offer counseling and guidance (financial, information about public assistance, etc.) to tenants who need it.
Advocating to Eliminate Homelessness
- SHORE/ICARE advocates with government and other organizations to create affordable housing by documenting and reporting problems of homelessness.
- SHORE/ICARE supports other local nonprofit agencies and programs that help homeless individuals with housing needs.